The 5K e-course for total beginners
Hit the ground running, on Monday 3 March, 2014
: it’s not just for sporty ladies with six-pack abs & bouncing ponytails. It’s for manically busy moms. It’s for intellectual bookworms. It’s for curvy girls, skinny-minnies, and everything in between. It’s a mindfulness practice. An exercise in courage. A declaration of bravery, self-care & commitment.
Join our 5K e-course
for beginners, and discover the transformative power of running. We’ll bring the wisdom, the how-to’s, the guidance, and love.
You just show up — and run
What you’ll receive:
- A Warm-Up Week to set your intentions, clear out self-critical beliefs, and prime your mind for that gorgeous finish line — before the workouts begin.
- Eight weeks of practical, baby-step-by-baby-step PDF training plans created by expert running coach Julia Jones. Just download. And dive in.
- Personal support in our members-only forum — post a question, and we’ll answer it within 24 hours on weekdays & 48 hours on weekends...every time. We got you, babe.
- The Up & Running Gear Guide for total beginners, packed with essential information on running shoes and gear.
- Access to a private Up & Running blog packed with high-inspiration videos, self-discovery & journaling prompts, stories & interviews with women who run (and seriously rock).
- All for just £49 for a total of 9 weeks - that's about 77p per day - much less than a bar of chocolate! For other currencies, check xe.com for latest exchange rates
- Check out our FAQs for more information on how the Course works
Who’s running this thing?
That would be us! Up & Running
was created by expert Running Coach Julia Jones
and weight-loss wonder, inspirational author & Community Director Shauna Reid
. We’ve got a beautiful blend of athletic prowess & community-building superpowers. Just ask our happy, healthy, highly-excitable e-course participants
Our absolute promise.
- We will get you Up & Running — safely. You don’t need to be an Olympic athlete — or even a once-a-week jogger — to join the 5K e-course. We’ve designed it with total beginners in mind. And we’ll show you how to take care of your muscles — and your mind — and you start your training adventure.
- We are your mentors, your cheerleaders, and your biggest fans. If we could show up at every single one of our e-course participant’s 5K finish lines, we would — with frosty Gatorade, a bouquet of roses, and a gigantic bear hug. We tend to fall in love ...with everyone in our courses. And we make sure they feel it.
- We know what we’re doing — and it shows. We’ve got testimonials galore. And we
treasure each one.
- You will transform. No ifs, ands, or ever-shrinking butts about it. If you commit to the 5K training program with even 50% of your heart, you will transform. Your body will change. You’ll discover new muscles you never knew existed. You’ll find inner reserves of commitment & power. You’ll start to ask yourself the all-important questions, like: what are my strongest, undeniable priorities — for my body, my career, my relationships, and my soul? And how can I make my dream life a reality?
That finish line? Consider it crossed.
If you can comfortably walk one kilometre in around 12 minutes then you’re ready for our 5K e-course.
Register now. Gift a spot
to a friend. Gather your tribe. And get Up & Running
- Up & Running really has been the best thing I have done for myself in years, and not just for the running. My confidence and happiness in my own skin has increased so much and I love what my body can DO, rather than obsessing about what it looks like.
- When I started Up & Running I was pretty confident I’d finish the course. But I really didn’t expect to love it so much that I’d keep running. And I definitely didn’t expect to love the forums so much – so many amazing women: supportive, funny and all just trying their best.
- Cheapest therapy ever!
Shauna Reid and Julia JonesIf you’re someone who remembers the horrors of gym class and shudders at the thought of an audience when you’re learning to run – Up & Running offers the best possible solution. You have a personal cheering section led by the incomparable
. Both women are professional and passionate about engaging new runners in the U&R process; no one is ever left behind. Thoughtful and helpful in every way, they often offer answers to questions before you even have a chance to ask. If you commit to the process, trust the U&R team, and use the forums to learn and support your running teammates, by the end of the course you will find courage and ability that you never knew you had!
Up & Running was right for me because I didn't have to commit to anyone else's schedule. I fit my three runs a week into my schedule and made it work. The course program is delivered in bite-sized, just-in-time chunks. I had the information I needed when I needed it, and I didn't have to worry about what was coming next because Shauna and Julia were looking after that!
- Over the past few years, running, once a source of joy in my life, has morphed into a symbol of failure for me, both consciously and subconsciously. But as I’ve begun to see major progress with Up & Running and I’m starting to view myself as someone who sets realistic goals and then achieves them through repeated and consistent effort.
- What Julia and Shauna do goes way beyond my expectations for an online class. I came here expecting training plans and a little more, but what I have received is a golden ticket for the Wonka factory.
- I, too, am a Couch to 5K refugee. I just couldn’t make it work for me and it left me more discouraged. I’m sure it was due to the lack of community. Everyone here makes me feel like part of a team and keeps me accountable because I have to keep track of everything and report back. The C25K program really doesn’t offer that accountability that we get here. And the friendship. It’s really starting to feel like we are becoming long-distance friends, and who doesn’t want to run with friends?
- I signed up for the 5K course on impulse, and it was a life-changing decision. I was convinced that I wouldn’t be able to run, because I’d be too unfit. Not the case! Up & Running not only taught me how to run and build up my fitness, it completely changed my attitude to exercise.
I was so used to having an idea, starting something new, then giving up after a few weeks when it got too hard. Up & Running taught me to really understand myself, taught me that motivation isn’t a bolt out of the blue, and that perseverance isn’t as hard as it seems.
Yes, I’m fitter, trimmer and stronger. But that’s just one of the many benefits. I’ve taken much more from Up & Running than just the ability to run, because the Up & Running attitude has filtered through to every aspect of my life. I have more determination to achieve things and I approach challenges in a much more focused way. I’m more adventurous, and more respectful of my body. I’m far more committed to my physical, mental and emotional health than I ever have been before. I’ve made incredible friends all over the world, and couldn’t ask for a better support network.
I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Up & Running to anyone and everyone. You don’t need to be super fit, or skinny, or athletic. All you need is the willingness to try and Up & Running will definitely change your life for the better.
- This course has changed the course of my life. It helped me achieve goals that I always knew were possible but had no idea how to obtain them. It’s absolutely wonderful, and I don’t know how to thank you enough.
- I started walking in January 2010 after a lifetime of mostly inactivity. As my fitness levels improved, I walked faster and further. The next obvious progression for me was to start running but I didn't know how. I wanted to do it safely and with a structured plan and a goal. Up & Running gave me that and so much more. I was able to share the good workouts and the bad workouts with other women who understood. I was able to support and encourage in return; we cheered each other on throughout the course.
At some point during the course, my running improved. The breathing, movement and mental side of the workouts clicked. Not that I can fly now, but I am a runner. And at the end of the course I ran 5K, something I had never thought I would be able to. I could see the difference in my legs; I was so much sleeker after the course than before! Four months on, I'm still training three times a week and I know that my fitness and stamina are improving. I talk about running alot and am always happy to point to Up & Running as a wonderful place to start or continue running.
- Up & Running sh*ts all over Couch to 5K!
- I really not can not express my gratitude in a way that I feel reflects all that I have received from Julia & Shauna. Thank you from the very depths of my heart… for the advice, the support, the workouts, the prodding along and mostly for bringing such an amazing group of women together and providing a place for us to share and grow in our struggles. Julia & Shauna… I never, in my wildest dreams, thought this course would be so much more than a training program for running. You are both a blessing.
- Thank you so much Julia and Shauna. All your hard work and dedication has created something truly awesome… this course has easily been the best, sanest and most rewarding fitness thing I have ever done. My expectations have not so much been exceeded as completely blown away.
- I've really started to feel like I want to run, and I miss it a bit when I don't. *PERSONALITY OVERHAUL KLAXON*.
- Shauna & Julia you guys are the best support and coach ever! Thank you for the empowerment to participate in these races.
- This ‘running’ thing is like an octopus, it has tentacles that reach way beyond what I imagined it would and touches on a whole lot of different bits of life beyond just physical movement! The sense of potential I now feel about myself amazes me. You have helped me to achieve things I hadn’t believed possible, so now I have so much more belief in what I can do next in running and in life. Thank you for all having a part in creating such a rich and empowering experience!
- It is unanimous: this course rocks, and Shauna and Julia are fabulous! This course has been so professional and clever and AMAZING, and the forum is the best thing ever. Thank you thank you thank you!
- No wonder my daughter loved and raved about this course so much! It beats the other programs hands down!
- Thank you so, so much Julia and Shauna. Together you have created something really very special. You make an awesome team! I am so grateful to you both for creating this incredible program. I now feel fitter, happier and more motivated than I have in years. I even call myself a runner now and have so many running dreams and aspirations to pursue now and what’s even better is that I know that with Up & Running I can achieve them… it really has been about so much more than simply learning to run. Where have you been all my life?
- I am totally in love with the amount of support I have received through the program, both from its administrators and participants. These ladies actually make you want to get out there and have a crack, in spite of the many obstacles life throws in our way.
Wanna know what else is really cool? I'm actually looking forward to my runs. For the first time in my adult working life, I'm excited for 4PM to roll around so I can get out of my work clothes and head out into the fresh air and spend some undisturbed time with me, myself and I.
- While I was somewhat active before signing up for the 5K course, I never considered myself capable of running a 5K race. After reading the testimonials, I plucked up the courage to sign up. I’m so glad I did; the support of your fellow running mates is extremely addictive. Julia’s approach allows you to tackle the physical and mental challenges to running, and you’ll take away tools you can use for life.
- I would be LOST without my pink plans, LOST I tells you! I am really really enjoying being able to get out there and just run, and feeling fit, and having core strength again, and being able to walk fast without my shins/ankles screaming - I feel like myself again instead of a useless failure, I feel positive instead of desperate... this course came around at exactly the right time, thank you so much, both of you.